In PR, we often write the speeches. However, how often do we use public speaking as our own PR tool? Public speaking is an underrated, yet fantastic way to increase the awareness of your own brand. It gives you the ability to communicate your message directly to key audiences. When used as part of the marketing mix to promote your brand and your message, it can provide a powerful boost to your own campaign.
Public speaking is almost an essential for success nowadays—and definitely a major factor in creating a powerful brand. Those who take their courage into their hands and accept or seek speaking engagements outstrip their competitors in branding, authority and reach.
When it comes to showing off your expertise and being seen as the authority you are, there aren’t many better avenues than speeches and other presentations!
The thought of public speaking may scare those of us that fear it since we are often behind the scenes. However, you don’t need to fret. Successful presentations are not necessarily about confident delivery, but having a powerful message, clearly delivered, that persuades your audience to take action. You know this though. You’ve written speeches before. You have strong communications skills. To help you leverage public speaking as a powerful PR tool, Women in PR North America explores how you can successfully prepare and execute a speech.
Key Benefits of Public Speaking
- It promotes you as an expert in the industry.
- It develops awareness of your company, organization, or cause.
- It makes your brand more personal.
- It helps to generate sales and business leads.
- It is a great way to network and form new connections.
- It generates follow up opportunities to speak at other events.
- It is a cost-effective approach to brand marketing.
- It can provide another revenue source for your firm.
How to Prepare for a Speech
- Understand your audience demographics.
- Be aware of time restraints.
- Develop a visual PowerPoint if the venue permits.
- Choose a topic to draft your key points around.
- Tailor your message to the audience.
- Rehearse your speech
- End with a call to action.
- Prepare for a question and answer period.
How to Execute Your Speech
- Speak slowly, clearly, and with confidence.
- Smile and make eye contact with the audience.
- Engage with audience.
- Provide business cards and promotional material to promote your company.
In the Women in PR North America public speaking course, you will learn how to deliver a speech that is well planned and organized. We will show you how to inspire your audience, inform them about your topic the right way, and motivate them to take action so you can build your brand. We will also show you how to get over your fear of public speaking so that you won’t be prevented from landing the speaking gigs that you need to grow your PR career.
Learning how to combat stage fright and take your rightful place on the speaker circuit is doable—even by the most nervous speaker—if you just break your speech down into their most basic steps and follow our step by step plan. Women in PR North America can help you organize speeches of any size – from larger conference stages, to smaller workshop sessions. With our detailed plan, you will feel more organized, confident and overcome your fear in the process.
Are you tired of having a great product or service that you can’t get the word out about? Check out the Women in PR North America Public Relations Academy! It teaches you the ‘how to’ of the publicity process so you finally get the results you deserve.
Take the FREE 5 Day Perfectly Planned Publicity Challenge.
*Special Offer* Sign-up for Kajabi FREE for 28 days through Women in PR North America.
Book your Women in PR interview to be featured in our magazine.