For effective publicity, you need to be organized and put in the work to control the message you send to the public. If you want to get some press for your business or for your clients, you need to define what’s unique about your offer and make a list of brand stories to share. Once you have a newsworthy story, the next step is to reach out to journalists and influencers who can help get your story into the world. Don’t forget to send them a copy of your media kit!
Women in PR North America has put together 10 tips to help you get started with the publicity process.
- Identify your unique brand value. This needs to be communicated through your publicity, so identify how you uniquely meet the needs of your customers.
- Offer free stuff. Create information products you can use as freebies to get the word out about the value you offer.
- Give your audience something to do. Offer a challenge where they can tell their story on your platform.
- Win an award in your industry. This official recognition is a great event that you can publicize.
- Write a guest blog post and submit it to a blog in your industry to show your expertise. Include a link in the bio.
- Get interviewed on a podcast, online radio show, or YouTube show. Share your expertise by discussing a topic that’s relevant to your audience.
- Keep a calendar of holidays and events that are relevant to your audience. You can use these as opportunities for publicity.
- Pitch in and help out the community. Volunteering for a charity is a great way to generate positive publicity for you and your business.
- Create an active community on social media. An engaged social media presence can help you multiply your publicity efforts by telling others about your activities and events.
- Attend local events armed with a media kit that explains who you are and what you do.
Are you tired of having a great product or service that you can’t get the word out about? Check out the Women in PR North America Public Relations Academy! It teaches you the ‘how to’ of the publicity process so you finally get the results you deserve.
The Organization of Canadian Women in Public Relations (Women in PR Canada) and American Women in Public Relations (Women in PR USA) is a network of leading business women striving for excellence in the field of public relations. Together, our organizations form Women in PR North America.